Some handy bits & pieces compiled by James E Lyon
cache-proof, DNS-independent, Internet Test Page : 188.8.131.52 (Address will not change,
so feel free to memorize it, jot it down...)
Things to use
- AVG: Free Download of the Anti-Virus edition for home use.
CIS: Comodo Anti-virus & Firewall (scroll to
"Download Comodo Internet Security..." and choose applicable option. Not 'GeekBuddy'.)
Or use Sophos
(free for home use) on a Mac, though it's not as crucial as with Microsoft Windows, of course.
- SAS: SUPERAntiSpyware
(download Free version and follow two-phase installation)
- MBAM: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
(blue button for Free download near bottom of page)
link to the Bookmark Toolbar for an 'email address of current page' feature in Google Chrome.
Default installation displays a
page with basic tips on using Chrome.
Don't use the Chrome extension for Amazon's add-to-wishlist feature
(too much privacy surrendered by installing it)
but rather go and get Amazon's button
for your browser's toolbar to explicitly add any web-page as a wishlist item instead.
Microsoft Fixes & Hacks
- Problems with Outlook sending Winmail.dat
attachments, and we really don't want that.
- Outlook's address Auto-complete
feature is causing grief, especially with cached information.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Administrator Only\Security\useVPuninstallpassword
Apple Mac bits 'n' pieces
Unrelated & Miscellaneous
- A track called "Quantum Sunrise" by SunChill3 released late August 2011 is apparently a pure coincidence.
Our website address (domain name) was registered in the early half of 2010 and we have no affiliation,
but having listened to the track sample,
I think I quite like it anyway.